Friday, October 3, 2008

100 Years of Friday Night Football


***UPDATE**
We won!!! What a great football game. Exciting nail-biter down to the last 8 seconds of the game. Woo-Hoo. It was great to see my brother and his teammates together again. Some had not be "home" since graduation. A few travel between 3-7 hours just to come for the game.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It's beginning to feel like true Fall weather around here. I love the crisp air earlier in the morning. I love to open my windows and air out the house. It smells so clean and fresh Tonight it's Friday night football. This year our town is celebrating 100 years of football and tonight they will honor past players from the 1970s. My oldest brother will be out on the gridiron once again. I remember growing up how much he loved football. Lonnie ate, breathed and slept football. He wanted me to love it too. He tried to explain to me once what those X's and O's meant as he studied his play book. I tried to seem really interested but wanted to play tic tac toe with the X's and O's instead. He wasn't the biggest player on the team, but he had the biggest desire to be out there. He never broke curfew on Thursday nights. The coach would call to make sure his players were in early and getting rest before the game on Friday. He had to personally speak to them to make sure the parents weren't covering for them. They had so much pride in their team and school. He didn't play in college, but has continued through the years to stay involved with sports as a volunteer coach. He gave everything he had to teaching those kids discipline and fundamentals.

He's a little older now and had to give it up do to bad knees, but he makes a great armchair quarterback on the weekends. Now days he supports the team on Friday nights and he gets to see his old coach. I'm sure they still talk about the good old days. My family will be on the sidelines again cheering him on as we shout out their class moto" "GHS mighty are we, we're the class of '73!" Go Commodores!!!

2 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

My brother was in the class of '73, so I feel that I "know" that era well. I was in '81. Thanks for commenting at 2nd cup today. You know, it's funny, but I mentioned tatting yesterday, I think, on my blog, and then you mentioned it today. Weird, because who knows about tatting in the first place, and then to have it mentioned two days in a row? Wow.

Unknown said...

Love the season of football games.

Thanks for visiting my blog. And, yes, come on over when we do decide to meet. Where on the east side of MS?

From this day forward - 25 years later

We celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary on Tuesday June 29,2010 with dinner at the BlowFly Inn with the children. It has been the first ...